RE: New Who ?

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: New Who?
>
>I really hate to pop anybody's bubble here, but I really don't think lyrics

>is Pete's big thing.

You don't fool me L Bird!!!!  You don't believe that!  You're just pulling
out that big 'ol wooden spoon of yours and a stirrin' the pot!!!!!
Lyrics is Pete's *biggest* thing (mind out of the gutter please)!

>Does any of "Baba O'Riley" really make sense?

Yes.

>How about "I Can See For Miles?"

Yes.

>"Behind Blue Eyes" maybe?

No maybe, YES!

>Not a lick of reason in any of them.

Not a lick of reason!!  What????
Wait, nope, you're not gonna sucker me in.

What I love about Pete's writing:  It has meaning.  Pete has a plan.  Yet,
it's presented in a way that subtly invites you to figure the meaning out,
but also leaves plenty of room for you to attach your own meaning.  What
ever meaning makes you feel good.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Rockin' with old folks
>
>Aren't The Boomers supposed to have invented the Generation Gap?

I can't think of a gap before that.

>Whatever, there's more of a gap in some quarters now than ever.

Too many parents believing in that statement "you'll understand when you're
a parent".
Bullshit.

>Both parents are away from their kids more, and have less in common with
them
>than ever.

That's a lack of interest, not a result of being away from the kids. Kids
understand that you have to work to survive.

>They form this by rejecting things their parents enjoy (without even
looking to see what it >is), and by seeking out things their parents don't
like.

Don't agree here.  I see it the other way around.  Kids just want to have
fun.  Just want some understanding.  They don't automatically reject.  I
didn't reject jogging with my pop just because he liked it.  I just thought
it was boring!  I didn't golf with my dad when I was young because I had a
better time playing football.  There didn't have to be a gap.
But, there was.  Even though I was born after the boomers ('65), I still
fought the same fight since my pop was/is 45yrs older than I was/is.  Being
a retired military officer didn't help matters either.

>I have a friend who commented after hearing Marilyn Manson the first time,
>"Yeah, I can see how that would upset a lot of parents."    ;)  That's all
>it's about.

It's the fact that the parents get upset that causes the gap.  Marilyn
Manson is no different then Alice Cooper.  It's all entertainment.  I'm
transfixed to the tube when I see a MM video.  It's wild and bizarre.  It's
not the devil or Satan, or something that has any ability what so ever to
change your little loved one.  Folk need to chill.  It's just wild and
crazy, and obviously not main stream suit and tie and going to the office.
Let them play!!!  They'll be in the fucking suit and tie before ya know it.
Let them play while they can!!!

>From: JVNNSJSP@aol.com
>Subject: Pete's lonely public dilemma
>
>I believe that one of Pete's problems with writing songs for a new Who
album
>is the fact that he was so brilliant as a young man.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think the main reason is the fear of
hurting The Who's reputation.  I'd be petrified.  A new album will
automatically be controversial.  Hell, everyone is already saying "old
rockers go home!".  So, it better be damn good, or it's gonna get shelled.
Did I say petrified???  That's not a strong enough word.

>Another thought that that they all (TED) have to deal with is the fact that

>Keith Moon is gone.

Disagree here.  They could do just as well (well, almost) with Zak.  I don't
believe the drumming will make a new album bad.  A new album will be bad
only if TED allow it to be bad.

>No matter what anyone says, he was critical to thier success.

Yes.  In so much as Moony gave the band that extra appeal via both his skill
and his antics.  Another drummer like Zak can pick up the torch on the skill
part (again, almost), but these boys are too old to keep the antics part of
their act.  *That* part wouldn't fit.  They are mature now, the way it
should be.

Kevin in VT
Just full of O's.