RE: Rockin' with old folks

 >Since the discussion on this list is pretty quiet, I thought I would share
a completely unrelated experince and try to tie it back to The Who.  It
certainly relates to the recent discussion about the rights of old people to
perform and listen to live music.

>I'll tell ya, I'm still peeved about this topic and it's been on my mind
>non-stop.  I read an article recently that stated "teens will always find
>something to rebel against, it just so happens that the baby boomers had a
>good cause" (or something to that effect).
>What a load of SHIT!

Aren't The Boomers supposed to have invented the Generation Gap?  I think
I've heard that, but it seems like maybe it was coming back in the Twenties
during Prohibition and the Flapper era.  Jazz was kind of a radical change
in the music scene back then, and it was reflected in styles and behavioral
changes that lots of older folks disapproved of.  I suspect the Gap started
with the Industrial Revolution when fathers first left the home.

Whatever, there's more of a gap in some quarters now than ever.  Both
parents are away from their kids more, and have less in common with them
than ever.  It's easy to convince kids there is a Gap, and that they need to
have their own identity.  They form this by rejecting things their parents
enjoy (without even looking to see what it is), and by seeking out things
their parents don't like.

I have a friend who commented after hearing Marilyn Manson the first time,
"Yeah, I can see how that would upset a lot of parents."    ;)  That's all
it's about.

keets