Re: From the US without love; Ticket prices; Fobbing Pete to play Paul

> made bail.  My interpretation would be that the FBI went for it on Adobe's
> complaint so they could negotiate the release.

Keets:

A typical move with administrations of a certain mindset.

> something that should be re-evaluated in terms of how they affect free
> speech and free competition in the marketplace.

Neither of which have ever existed in this country.

> Hence the high ticket prices?

Yeah, that's why the prices suddenly skyrocketed. I remember the Eagles
being the first to really gouge the fans ($100+ tickets, and no regalia
either!). But CSN&Y reportedly had $250 tickets on their last tour. I seem
to recall I paid $70 for a decent (but not "golden circle") seat in Atlanta
last year. In `97 I paid $23 to see them in Raleigh, and $70 the year before
for MSG tickets (but those were special, at the time there being only 6
shows).

> year's tour.  How's the economy in the UK and Europe?  Would that be a
> factor in whether or not they'd tour?

Definitely affected by our economic downturn. The primary reason why no sane
country would attack the US is because it would trash the world economy.

> Everybody is used to elaborate shows, but it might be a case where bands
> with real music need to scale back the regalia some--again a la TED.

Well I for one was never that big on spectacles in the first place. The Who
in `00 were much like The Who in `75, just the best damned live Rock band
out there. No bells, no whistles, no horns and no hooters (a thinly veiled
reference to Jody Lynn-Scott).

> even get back to the days where they go out with a couple of roadies and a
> light man again.  ;)

Technology makes this possible, but it's unlikely. Humans most often feel
they have to have a certain entourage to appear to be on the level they
presume to be on. Like "We're so big we can afford 20 roadies."

> I've been wondering what kind of video would be best to sell a possible
new
> album about parent/teen relationships.

It should include footage from a Jerry Springer show.

But realistically, I can't see an album from The Who about teen-parent
relationships. For one thing, (as far as I know) none of them have had teens
for about 20 years...and at this point, most of their fans are past it too.
Quad explored this territory anyway. And this beside the fact that it's not
really the most interesting subject in the world from the parents POV.
What's it going to be: "Why won't they listen/I'm just trying to help
them/evade the mistakes/That we made/I know how they feel/I've been there
myself/But they'll never understand/Like I never understood/When I was
young..."
Monophenia? Nah.

> that are blatantly sexual--obviously what's selling right now.

When hasn't it?

> It was, in fact, "It's Hard" recorded at the same time and location as the
> "Eminence Front" video.

Brian:

I remember it well. It was like a rehearsal version. And I've never seen an
Athena video either.

> Dah, comrade.  (That's for you, ML)

Keets:

"The wind is in the buffalo." I'll make the dropoff at the usual place.

> Pete looks way drunk during that show. lol.

Rich:

Sure you're not thinking of Chicago (where he's wearing a blue sweater)? But
Pete was definitely drunk for the Rockestra "mega-session" at the end of
Kampuchea. I LOVE the fact that he wouldn't wear the glitter suit and when
they put the hat on him, he tossed it to the audience like he was thinking:
"I'm not wearing that shite! Bite me, McCartney!"

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I
   believe and what I believe-I believe what I believe is right."
            George "My IQ is 91" Bush

               Cheers                 ML