Re: possible Moon movie story lines

>The problem I always see with a Moon movie. Anybody remember how Arthur 2:
>On the Rocks tanked? Part of it was that by the time the
>second movie came out alcoholism was taken quite seriously and no one
>wanted to laugh anymore at a drunk. Now add to that the
>wife-beating revelations in Flethcher's Moon bio (which will be mentioned
>by reviewers even if it doesn't make it into the movie)
>and you've got real problems putting Moon at the center of a movie these
>days.

Look at how POLLOCK did at the Oscars, though.

I dunno that you could exactly represent Moon as a driven artist, but as
long as the movie presented some suggestion of how art and personality are
related, then it would fly.  I think you're right that a director couldn't
just show it these days without asking the question why--but that's actually
a great part of the tension and drama in the story.  If it turns out all
sunny and sweet with no dark side and no edge, then it will definitely tank.

>I'm not saying that an extremely talented filmmaker and a very good actor
>couldn't make a fascinating film of it (what was there
>about the '70's rock lifestyle that made a person like Moon seem in any way
>acceptable? Why didn't The Who either fire him or get
>him help?). But without a lot of talent involved it's sure to flop, IMHO.

Excesses like that still go on and are pretty much accepted by the public.
It's almost more obvious in sports than music, and it's an excellent subject
for inquiry.  The usual answer is that the person has such talent and such
economic worth that the managers and the other band members will put up with
anything.  Plus, how much should you interfere in a friend's life?  Could
they really have saved Moon from himself?

keets