Re: Replacing Keith

>Here's what I suspect was happening in Summer 1978.  I think Bill
>Curbishley, The Who's then and present manager, was lining up replacements
>for Keith in case of a tour and was the one who was thinking of replacing
>Keith.  Perhaps the horrors he went through with Keith in Florida in 1976
>where Keith almost accidentally killed himself and had to be hospitalized
>convinced Curbishley that he'd had enough.  Perhaps Pete was also informed
>of this.  Maybe Roger and John were kept out of the loop (and might have
>stopped it).  But I suspect Curbishley was the one behind the
>push-Keith-aside thing.

I believe both Roger and Pete have commented on this, and I think they were
all realizing that things were so bad that they should come up with
alternate plans in case Keith got to the point where he absolutely couldn't
function any longer.  Roger said they really were thinking they'd have to
get another drummer in to finish WAY, but that they had no intention of
pushing Keith out of The Who.  That being the case, I wouldn't be surprised
if Curbishley was lining up a back-up drummer for the tour, but still that
doesn't mean everybody's telling lies about their intentions now.  After
all, they DID hire a back-up for Pete in '89.

keets