Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #262

that Kieth was a superior drummer compared to Kenny.  I saw the Who In 76,
with Moon, and in 80 with Kenny and both shows were great, but the with Moon
was the more outstanding. A good side by side comparison can be obtained from
the 4-CD boxed set ,  30 Years of Maximum R & B. Kenny plays the drums in a
unreleased studio version of The Real Me.  The performance is solid but there
is non of the powerful syncopation that Moon displays during the verse of the
song.  The dynamics of The Who's music calls for a very innovative drummer:
Entwistles complex and creative bass lines and Pete's restrained
rhythym-oriented lead guitar style allowd Moon to improvise in his trademark
style like another lead instrument. Daltrey made the comment the Kenny's
style of drumming is "simplicity personified," and I agree.

Also a couple of Who fans on the list have made the comment that Moon was
about to be expelled from the band.  I know Dave Marsh in his book also made
this assertion.  But who ever originally said that?  The new Biography by
Fletcher makes no mention of that.  Entwistle said that the Who were at an
all time peak during the 76 tour just two years before Kieth's death and
Daltrey called Moon "a bloody instiitution."  The truth is there is not a
shred of evidence to support that Moon was about to be fired from the Who.
Too bad the Who didn't take a little more time to decide on a drummer such
as, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker or Carl Palmer.