Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #256

I just recently finished reading the biography on Kieth Moon, written by
Fletcher.  There is no doubt Moon was out of shape in early 1978, and he
quotes Entwistle saying that Moon "was disgusted with himself."  But the fact
is Moon, in the months leading up to, and in the recording, of WAY did get
into pretty good shape.  He sobered up and, ulltimatly, played well on the
album.  Just a few weeks before he died, during a break in producing the
video for the tiltle track, Entwistle claims Moon performed a drum solo that
was simply the best he ever saw, just incredible.  I think music critics who
say that Moon skills slipped greatly after Who's Next have their head up
their ass. It is true Moon was mentally unstable, but the Who meant everthing
to him.  According to Fletcher, all Moon ever wanted out of life was to be a
great drummer, and I'm sure, had he lived, he would have continued being
Rock's Greatest Drummer.