Re: It don't really happen that way at all

>>i think a lot of people find his activities repulsive which makes it hard
>>to be sympathetic. Esp for us in Europe who have been familiar with him
>>throughout his career. Over the years there have been accusations of
>>statutory rape and each case was quietly settled out of court. Not to
>>mention the amount of stories the papers have carried  - i know we
>>shouldnt
>>believe all we read -but in this case there's bound to be some truth..
>>
>>When these stories originally came out in the 70s and 80s people dismissed
>>them coz he was such a likeable character - but now it seems they may have
>>been true.
>
>Is he still a likable character?  I don't know anything about him, of
>course--I've never been a fan and didn't know who he was before the Quad
>tour--but he looks like someone whose appetites are out of control.  Has
>his
>audience suddenly turned on him?
>
>I guess rock stars in general are questionable characters--that business of
>statutory rape sounds familiar.  I've also heard Billy Idol has been in
>trouble for assault and domestic violence.  I guess beating up girls isn't
>the problem that kiddy porn is, though.  Nobody ever mentions it.
>
>Unfortunately, TED seem to suffer from good character.  Not much material
>for press there.  The media has to make stuff up. (Pete's gay!)
>

>keets

He is/was a likeable character - very camp and used to be a favorite on
Christmas shows and even Christmas TOTP.....
his music was always very innocent anthemic glam rock - "leader of the pack"
etc....
for all the slating he got for being un-cool he actually became very
likeable.
also a favorite on the pantomime season in the UK - which is mainly a kid's
audience....

I can't think of a well known figure in USA equivalent to give you an idea..
maybe davy jones of monkees..?

but I remember being in Hyde Park for the show and the audience loved him at
Quad ! he was so perfect for the part

JC