Audiophiles. Are They Sick?

>With a little tinkering (Dart Pro for hiss and Cool
>Edit for the LP surface noise) it sounds about as good as the unremixed
>version of LAL

I just turn down the treble!  Okay, audiophile freaks, tell me about this
longing for the 'perfect' (or just 'best') sound.  I mean, I can understand
wanting to correct a vinyl record that has crackling noises akin to a roar-
ing bonfire, but I really don't see the payoff in going that extra mile to
'tidy-up' a bootleg.

And I'm not just picking on you, Mark.  I'm just curious.  I guess I'm some-
what of an audiophile; I own a nice stereo receiver (Harman/Kardon), two
decent tape decks (Onkyo & Aiwa), a decent CD player (Sharp), a bitchin'
older (silver!) turntable (Yamaha), & some massive MTX loudspeakers.
I clean my rercords before playing them, & am generally careful with my
albums & CD's (all albums have plastic protectors & all CD's are promptly
returned to their case after use!)

But I've never done the software-type clean-up of an album or CD.  Is it
really worth it?  I seem to be happy putting up with a little bit of hiss or
a little bit of mud as long as it's not too annoying.

And I certainly don't hate (or even dislike) Jon Astley because of some
perceived lack of professionalism in regards to the CD reissues.  Don't
like the sound?  Take it back!  Exchange it!  Wrong studio version of
"Young Man Blues?"  So what!  We got the better one on boots!  Digital
clicks on TOMMY?  Whoopdy-ding-dong-shit!  They're not bothering
me!  Backing vocals don't fade like the original?  Deal with it!  You wanna
blame someone, blame The WHO!  It's their product!  They picked Jon
Astley!

Isn't it like dipping one's finger into the power of The WHO & proclaiming,
"I could've done better than that!  I can't play guitar like Pete, I can't play
the drums like Moon, I can't sing like Daltrey, I sure as hell can't play the
bass like The OX, but just fuck that Jon Astley to hell 'cause I could've re-
mastered those WHO albums better than he did!!"  Bullshit!

What do these people listen to, the music or the sound?  The WHO or Jon
Astley?  Most of my hardcore music friends think the reissues sound fine.
I do too.  No booklets in FACE DANCES or IT'S HARD?  So the fuck
what!  You deal with it!  This is what you're gonna eat today.  Eat it!  Sure,
I hear the differences, but to me, they're more like curiosities rather than
something to get uptight about.  Should I be angry?  Should I be mad?
Why should I care?

I know some of you may think I'm wrong, so I trust you'll tell me why.

LONG LIVE THE WHO!!

- SCHRADE in Akron