Amsterdam '96 'My Generation'

I was listening to the 'My Generation - Amsterdam '69' boot from my new best
buddy's site (Phil McRevis -I love you man!)

I am very new to this bootleg thing.  Can someone help me out here.  What is
the origin of this recording?  How is it that the sound is so great given
that it is a boot recorded 31 years ago before portable recording technology
was worth a crap?  Did The Who record this from the board and have it stolen
from them?

I have been burning CDs with the Pete-provided MP3s and filling them out
with some of the files from Phil's site (mostly the Amsterdam '69 and
Swansea '76 stuff).  This means that I am listening to the old live right
next to the new live.  The new stuff really stands up to the old IMHO.  It
is about energy.  Not so much about the equipment, technique, sound quality
or even the personnel.

For me this is a nice consolation to the end of the US tour.  I hope I don't
get as grumpy as some of the posts we've seen lately.  Some listers are
surely suffering from a post tour letdown :-(

Any info would be appreciated.

Jeff