More on Who's a brand?

>so they bring their wisdom to bear on The Who live in 2000 as though there
>was no irony at all at work - either in their critique or our performance.

He's got a definite point here.

>I can't speak for Roger. (As I said yesterday, he has little sense of irony
>- but he is the most generous spirited and ready-to-laugh people I know.)
>But I think that what The Who are doing today is ironic to a fault. This is
>not parody or nostalgia. We are pretending to be pretentious.

One of the most interesting things about Pete and The Who is all the various
implications that can come out of their work.  Pete has the kind of mind
that's perfectly comfortable in layering double and triple meanings into the
subtext of what he says, which Roger then shapes by adding his own
interpretations.  Many listeners only read what's on the surface, but others
catch the different possibilities that are implied within the words and the
performances.

This tour really is making a double-edged statement, which most of the
critics have missed.  I think that was really the point of Pete's last rant.

keets