Re: guitar harmonics

> > I've been listening to the Tampa video and thinking they don't sound all
>that much different from the 15-17 musicians along on the QUAD tour.  I do
>think they sound thinner on the 60's stuff, though.
>
>Oh I hear the difference from this tour compared to the QUAD tour, but I
>think you mean that TED are putting out quite a bit of sound on this
>current tour.
>
>When you say the 60's stuff sounds thinner, do you mean the studio stuff?
>Cause that '68 Filmore show is pretty brutal.

No, I mean live.  I think what I'm talking about is the volume generated
wall-of-sound vs. texture.  The wall-of-sound doesn't come across well in
recordings--that's why they say The Who's live sound has never been properly
captured.  Their style back in the sixties depended heavily on the volume,
and when you hear it without the full effect, it seems thin.

Beginning with the '82 tour, they changed their strategy (to save Pete's
ears) so they've got more of what they call texture.  On the TOMMY and QUAD
tours, they used the extra musicians to produce it, but I was really
interested to notice that the smaller line-up produces about the same effect
now, and about the same volume.  For five people, they sure make a hell of a
lot of noise.

I didn't much like the '82 sound--it was messy--but I do like this latest
incarnation.  I definitely suspect that John's new muddy bass sound is by
design.  It blends Zak's drums so you get a rumble of white noise that Pete
plays against with his sharper, more penetrating lead.  The texture is in
the bass and drums.

keets