Re: Rock is dead, I say; Top 5

> Rock music is dead?? Then that means that classical, country, blues,
jazz,
> soul..etc...is dead too I guess.

Deni:

Creatively, I'd say yes.

> Sure, all music goes thru it's
> transformations through out time...traditional jazz, comtemporary
> jazz...blues played like Stevie Ray and blues played like BBKIng...rock
music
> isn't any different, IMO.

Well, my thought on that is SRV was recycling Hendrix's Blues style, so it
became a diluted second-level thing. In fact, his career makes my point.
This is not to say that Vaughan isn't a very talented guitarist, but his
creativity seems to have been limited. I could say the same about a lot of
successful musicians, from Ozzy to Matchbox 20.

> Rock will never die......its being passed on from one generation to
> another...parents pass it on to their kids...Rock will never
die.......best
> music there is...

Tri:

When I say dead, and I guess I should have specified, I meant creatively
dead. But you make a good point about passing it on; Jazz was the same way
a half a century ago. Rock is to the second half of the 20th Century what
Jazz was to the first.

> optimists.  I for one am patiently waiting for the next motivator.

Kevin:

So am I, but I don't see him/her/it on the horizon. Unless it's Peter
Blandford Townshend.

> angry story needs to be recorded, rock will be there.  If not, then
what????

That IS the question. I'm waiting for the kind of music to emerge that is
what Rock was to Jazz in the mid-50's. Sinatra's dead; long live Elvis.

> 	Who knows, if Social Security dries up

Nah, don't worry...Bush will never get elected. No chance. His SS scheme
reminds one sharply of his S&L experience; that is: the government bailed
him out.

> Subject: Pete chat

Thanks for posting this. Glad to see so many of "our" people were able to
get in. Sherridan, sorry that you were cut off.

> Top 5  I want to see live:

My top 5 (in no order) would be:

Pure And Easy
I'm Free
The Good's Gone
Melancholia
Cook's County

> But if Rock can no longer be innovative as you say (and I'd agree), how
> can he?

Brian:

OK, so I'm hoping he's the one person in the universe who could do it. You
know me well enough to know that's not surprising.

> I think he can do great work still but it will be derivative.

Maybe, but the stuff he did with Lifehouse gives me hope he'll go beyond
that.

> And that's exactly what Roger says he wants Pete to do with his writing
> for the new album; i.e., create hard-driving rock for middle-aged

I don't know about "middle-aged" at this point. They're pushing that
particular envelope, unless they're going to live to 110...but then, I plan
to so maybe so...
Well, Roger knows him better than I, so he would know of Pete is able.

      Cheers        ML