rock is dead and retirement

Frankly, I don't understand these "its all been done before, so rock is
dead" arguments.  Take a look at the blues.  You could have said the
blues was over with around 1930, yet I still enjoy B.B. King, Muddy
Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughn (sp?).

The same thing goes for all the "they should retire" arguments.
Nobody expects Muddy Waters or B.B. King to "retire" simply because
they got older.  Muddy still played "I'm a Man" until his death and
B.B. King (please don't tell me he's passed on and I didn't know about
it!) still plays "Lucille" and I don't hear anyone bitching about it.

I think the reason these things come up with rock bands is because
rock initially appealed to teenagers as a rebellious form of music.
Once rock became commercialized, it was marketed solely as a "young
person's phenomenon", so the Madison Avenue machine has inculcated
within us all this idea that it has to be for "kids" only.

I say FUCK Madison Avenue's prepackaged commercialized notions and
keep making and listening to the music you want to hear.  Who cares if
the basic blues progression is old and has been done a thousand
million times?  I still like it.
--
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>	Legalize Adulthood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,