RE: Let the Who/Zepp debate rage on !!!!

> how u can not stand Led Zeppelin but like the Who is
> beyond my thinking.  both groups were pioneers of rock
> and roll, but in differnt areas.

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.] .  First off I just want to make note of what
happens when a group is told not to follow a certain thread.  We're all
rebels, and I for one like to stir the pot (don't say it) at times!!!
Lesson learned, people shouldn't tell people what to do or not do.
Everyone, please take this discussion in the light-hearted manner it is
meant.  Debating/discussing does not equate with arguing.  :) (notice the
smiley faces.. :o)

	With that said,  I personally feel it's a loyalty thing.  To me it's
a contradiction to be fans of both The Who and Zepp. (ouch, ok, let me have
it).  I mean after all, there is the rivalry there from way back.  I
remember as a kid (1970's) always ranking the bands (not my personal
opinion, but rather populous opinion) as 1) Beatles, 2) R. Stones, 3) Who,
4) Zepp..  and arguing with friends of who was really 3 or 4.  Also,Zep
clearly copied The Who.  The Who was first. The Who were *THE* pioneers.  It
all goes back to the early days.  Keith's comments on "going down like a Led
Zeppelin", Plant blatantly copying Rogers style, Bonnam blatantly copying
Keith's drumming style,  Keith and John deciding not to join Zepp.  The only
things Zepp. "pioneered" were the use of a string bow on the electric guitar
(something I still like and respect Page for,...then again, I'm a Cello
player, so..), and how to bully record companies into getting what they
want.
	This leads me into another thing many don't/didn't like about
Zepp....Zepp made an incredible amount of money while the Who did it the
hard way, breaking ground (and other things) for bands like Zepp.  Wish The
Who had the strong arm manager that Zepp had.....well, maybe not.

>   The Who were more
> modern, trying new stuff that had never been done
> before.

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.] That's called exploring your musical and creative
talents.  If you aint got any, you're stuck. It also leads into class
(social) and intelligence.

>   Led Zeppelin was more true to the roots of
> rock and roll, more of a blues roots.  not that the
> Who were not into bluse, but they were more into
> advanceing rock and roll then remaining in the roots.

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  The Who took the roots and made tea.  Again,
this get's into Darwin and being able to change/adapt/explore.  If you think
Zepp. broke up simply because of Bonam's death, think again.  They were
done. No where else to go, creatively and musically.  Everyone seems to have
tried to change (with varying degrees of success)....The Beatles, The Who,
Clapton,.....everyone, except Zepp. and The Stones.  See some
class/intellectual separation in these two lists here??
	 Plus, I still haven't seen one piece of live footage of Zepp's that
was any good.
	Getting back to intelligence and social class....there has always
(in my mind) been a separation between the two bands that tends to go down
social class lines.  I know this sounds strange, but The who was a band that
appealed to the "intellectual" community, while Zepp was more of a Jack
Daniels/biker type band.............sorry, that sounds awful.......I really
do like the biker community....(my buddy Stu...aka "Stooooo" :)  is a HUGE
Who fan and is married to a HUGE Zepp fan who is a biker too.....makes for
interesting dinner conversation)....I can't think of a better way to put
this though (yes I can hear the can of worms being opened).  Try and see
what I'm saying, not just the words.

> Rock n Roll is played loud or not played at all.
> Chicago boy, who fan since age 6
	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  I'm with you here!!!

> PS. Can't stand Led Zepplin.
> Inga J. Glodowski

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  He, he.   ;-)

> >	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  Reminds me of a post on Pete's site where
> >someone wrote regarding Page/Who tour...something like "I want the Who to
> >tour alone, I don't want to hear assholes yelling "ROCK AND ROLL !!!"
> ;-)
>
> Pththtp :-P.  But they'll feel much better if The Who DOES tour alone,
> with
> the drunken buttheads bellowing "MAGIC BUS !!!" as if they were the first
> person ever to appreciate the song?
> I've seen it all too often,
> Alan

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  Hey, who you callin' a butthead??  I thought I
*was* the first??  Kidding aside, that post on Pete's site, mentioned above,
in my mind supported my thoughts on class separation/intellectual community,
etc..
	OK, fire away.  I've got my football helmet on.
	It's all a loyalty/rivalry thing in my mind.  Again, *some* of
Zepp's music *does* "get me going", but that's as far as it goes, and that's
not too far.

	Stay in tune,
	Kevin in Vt (bracing for retorts).