Re: PT is confusing me

>"I am still a very active composer, but writing songs for a deeply
>established rock band (that many musicians I admire don't even
>like) isn't coming easy to me. "
>
>Any ideas here? Who are the musicians that PT admires who don't
>like The Who? Who cares what they think?

Beats me.  Doesn't matter anyhow, because it's not the music that's the
problem.  People don't like what The Who stands for.

Actually I don't know, of course, but I'd suspect this a form of social
control that folks are trying to pull on Pete.  Like, c'mon Pete,
you're such a talented guy.  Why are you hanging around with those
punks? ;)

But actually those punks are very talented, too, and they've
contributed a lot to what Pete has had to say over the years, plus
provided him the vehicle to say it.  Roger said in some interview or
other that what the money did for him was provide freedom to do what he
wanted--and The Who's success does that, too.  The Who gives Pete
leverage, and nobody can say it appeals to the "lowest common
denominator," either.  It's a terrific weapon to roll out and beat
people over the head with.

I do think the class structure is heavily stratified in England, and
this is likely were Pete's getting the grief.  But one of the things I
love about The Who is the way it transforms the members--including
Pete--into something more than they'd normally be.  That's where the
magic is, and I don't think he should give it up.

>"You all know that I know, but it's taken me time to let that go."
>
>Know what? Let go of what? This line rhymes...Maybe a beginning
>of a song?

Hmmm.  Not a bad idea.

LB