Pete smashing guitar

Finally - after approximately 35 Who concerts I got to see Pete smash his guitar at Jones Beach (not that I was waiting for it to happen) . Luckily, when Pete raised his guitar over his head and then cut the microphone stand in half, the security people on my side ran up to the stage to watch. This allowed me to run up to the side of the stage and get a great view of the guitar hitting the stage and fragmenting into splinters. It was incredible to watch. Yet after I saw it I wondered if it really happened or I just imagined it - it seemed to happen that fast. I had to walk up to a friend I met at the show and say "Pete just smashed his guitar - right?" After you see something like that you want to commit it to memory; however, it's battling for memory space with the butt of the blonde who was dancing in front of me all night.

Does anyone know why he did it? Maybe it was because Jones Beach was his favorite venue (which he mentioned during the show). Or maybe he did it because of all the faithful who sat through the rain and nasty winds.

Vinman

http://www.members.home.com/vinman01/