The Great Boot Debate

To Chris, and all the rest of you,

Just wanted to throw my two cents in, maybe it'll help:

>>I didn't think that mattered. I see all the time on this very list people
>>trading and taping things.  It seemed to me that this list is meant for
>>fans to be objective, mature about their love of The Who.
>>But to tell me to "Fuck Off and Die" or  to e-mail me and call me "A
>>wanker"? Is that really necessary?

No, it wasn't. And i want to go on record here pointing out that while i
strongly disagreed with you, Chris, i (for one) did not call you names. i
think the people reacting that way were being a tad defensive. Which may be
because they see it as stealing from Pete, and may be because they just
paid a hundred bucks for something you want for dirt cheap.
   Regardless, they overreacted and you shouldn't have posted that query.
   Here's the thing about tape and CDR trading: it actually KEEPS people
from making a profit off of bootlegging an artist's music. If i tape a
show, copy it for a couple bucks a copy, and try to sell it for twenty,
after a few people get it they'll start trading the recording, and i'm shut
down as far as profit is concerned. And only hardcore fans buy boots,
anyway, and hardcore fans are going to be in contact with other hardcore
fans to trade.
   Used CDs? Dumb argument. The thing has been paid for, no matter who owns
it now.It's like a car that way. Garth Brooks wanting to get paid twice for
two people owning the same recording is like Ford wanting a cut if i sell
my car to someone. It doesn't work that way.
   High road? Yeah, i suppose i shouldn't be so self-righteous. Happy now?
i said it. i certainly have made mix tapes for friends whom i wanted to
hear certain Who songs. And i've copied CDs, i admit it. But this is a very
personal Pete thing, dude. You're not ripping off MCA, but Pete himself. i
can't afford "Lifehouse", but i'm going to buy it when i can! If that's the
high road, then fine, say what you will. i see a big difference between
dubbing "Lifehouse" and dubbing a concert boot, but if you don't that's
your opinion. But this isn't the place for it, because as i said in my
earlier post, it gives the people who freak out about that sort of thing
ammunition against the rest of us.
   Keets' very articulate response to your post was right on about alot of
things, such as the record companies being on their way out. Some folks i
know see it as a bad thing. Most of us on this list know the truth about
record companies and contracts and  such. Seen "My Generation" around
lately? Think MCA will sell more copies of "BBC" if they make the US and UK
versions different? How about that huge promotional push all the recent
Who/Pete material has gotten? The argument i get from people is that
without record companies, every garage band and townie cover band is on the
same playing field as the true artists. And i say let them be. The cream
rises to the top.
   Anyway Chris, this is generally a good bunch of people, but you stuck
your foot in your mouth. i wouldn't have said word one if i knew this bunch
would pounce on you like that. Even if you disagree with me (and the
others) i hope you can at least understand WHY you got that reaction here.

   peace&anarchy, jeffree (the sadly ecstatic hippypunk)