Re: Pirates Of The Web?

>It's sheer arrogance, yes Pete is and has a right to be arrogant...usually
>I don't mind but it puts me off, in this case. We are the people who
>bothered to buy Chronicles, which already puts us in the VAST minority of
>music fans, maybe even Who fans...I don't know how it's selling. Most are
>excited about it, and promote it to others who then buy it. But THIS is
>like charging $200 to see a concert, and I'm not going to do it. He had
>only to leave out the word "cheaper" and it would have been fine, but...

Pete has always had a love/hate relationship with his fans, and I think this
is another manifestation of it.  All the fans who pirate and buy and sell
bootlegs heavily justify it by saying they buy everything that's officially
offered, so I suspect Pete is calling their hand with the expensive custom
sets--very typical of Pete for having more than one reason for what he does.
  Several people have already found reasons why they won't buy this or that.

>This is what makes it different. But as a music store owner, I'm not
>completely comfortable about being taken out of the loop with online sales
>and downloaded music. Are we looking at the wiping out of an entire
>industry (music retailers)?... As I said, being financially involved in
>this matter, I am keeping an eagle eye on this situation, but so far I
>think people want "the real thing" over a burned CD. So far.

None of this change is planned, and everybody has to do that same
thing--it's always technology that undermines an established system, and
we're seeing it happen right before our eyes.  No telling what the music
industry will be ten or twenty years from now.  The younger fans who are
comfortable with downloading mp3s from archives may not have that attachment
to a hard copy disk, and as it becomes less profitable, music companies will
be less ABLE to develop and promote groups--they're already stingy about it,
and I gather that managers are having to make the initial investment in
development.  A couple of people have predicted that rock groups of the
future will give away their music and make money through tee shirt and teddy
bear sales, as Brian has reported.  You have to hand it to Kiss--they do
stay on top of the trends.

keets