SG's and Pete

Hello Who-ligans,

>We are both mega WHO fans since the 60's (I saw every Fillmore East concert
in the60's...brag >.brag!!) Anyway his band does mostly 60's stuff,
including some WHO, and his
>first choice is a Strat. He also loves Les Pauls. He says that he wouldn't
mess w/an
>SG...a weak guitar w/not so great action/feel, w/nowhere near the sustain
of a Les Paul.
>So our question is this...does anyone know why Pete seemed to like SG's so
much? Did he
>ever go into detail about what he liked about the guitar? John can't figure
it out!

I agree about the Les Paul reference, but I can see why Pete liked his SG so
much.  I've been playing a '72 SG primarily in my band for about a year and
a half, and I play (well, "try" to play) in the same style as Pete; bouncing
from rhythm to lead with as much teeth as I can.  Because so much of the
mid/late 60's Who music was primarily based on rhythm riffs, Pete could keep
the clean rhythm sound while slipping into a mean sounding lead for accents.
That's my guess only because it works for me.  A hypothesis if you will.

Be well brethren, and let's all rejoice at the BBC sessions soon to be
playing loudly in our humble abodes.

"I'm Keith Moon, what's your excuse?"

Jim in Chicago

is unauthorized.