Re: TKAA & MG

>Kevin,  "Duality" is a little deep for a bumpkin like me.

Actually this is ambivalence, I think.  Pete always has mixed feelings about
things--he sees/feels everything in shades of gray.  He feels something, and
then right away it falls through into something else.  The world is lots
simpler if you can manage to eliminate all that gray and have only black and
white.

>finish line of death.  As I said before:  That is some righteous shit!  I
>am not quite sure how the "lucky" Roger-sounding Simon&Garfunkel harmony
>ending fits in with Pete's plot.  Maybe that is a different song getting a
>workout on this scratch pad.

Counterpoint.  Roger sees everything in sunny colors.  Pete carries on about
how hard life is and how they somehow just barely made it through and then
Roger checks in with his viewpoint about how lucky they all are.  I thought
it was perfect as a refrain.

This is actually fairly standard, BTW.  Pete presents the problems, but
Daltrey always has this "can do" attitude that leaves you with a feeling you
can overcome any difficulty.

>Didn't Pete start fooling with this in '98 solo with "nothing wrong with my
>kids, etc"?  He has come a long way with it.  How much further can he flesh
>it out before they record?

Lots, I guess.  He's been trying out the ideas, but he needs words to make
up the songs.  He seems to be working on background, too, that part about
running in a gang when he was a kid.  I hope he can keep that feeling he got
on the TKAA mp3, though.  That was just so immediate--and he got the
expression just right.

>But you are right too.  That usually comes at a time (mid life) when a
>parent is facing the idea of their own mortality and loneliness in old age.
>  Perhaps this is Pete's main reason for getting back with The Who now.
>Seeking out the company of his old friends in the face of the loneliness of
>divorce and setting his two oldest kids loose on the world.

It's about the time your own parents leave you, too.  Pete's dad died just
recently.

>The Pete well is not dry!

Definitely not.  The bucket's a little rusty, maybe.  Going out with The Who
seems to have cleaned it up pretty well.  ;)

>As far as The Ox's writings. IMHO  He would be smart to hold back until
>Pete is able to unleash some stuff on the group.  Pete might feel more
>insecure about his own abiltiy to produce now if John unloads a pile of
>great songs before Pete does.

Probably they don't even think about asking John until the last minute.
Like "Uh, John, have you got any songs for this?"  And good old reliable Ox
always does.  ;)

keets