RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #330

>I've finally gotten a chance to hear the "new" versions of TKAA and MG, and
>have to say I'm impressed.  TKAA was actually very moving, and confirmed
>that Pete has more guidance to give.  It has me pretty hyped for the
>possibilities for the future album.  MG was good, but not quite as
>impressive as TKAA.

They were both hugely impressive for different reasons, I thought.  TKAA
was, as you say, one of those "ouch, that hurt" things that really catches
at you.  Amazing how Pete can do it, expecially live like that.  Something
set him off and he ran through such a range of viewpoints and feeling in
those few words that he must have captured everybody in the audience.  He
could go on for at least a double cd set exploring the concept with more
detailed songs, but I'd certainly hope he'd end up with that same raw
feel--the improv was so perfect for The Who that I'd hate for him to bury
any of that emotion.  Seems like Pete can always write about pain, but The
Who helps you deal with it.

MG was absolutely brilliant for the music and the performance, and all of
them were responsible for that.  The Who always have such a perfect edge.
This is the kind of beautiful, artistic composition that needs to be scored
and sold to symphony orchestras.  Damn, it was gorgeous.  Hard to believe
they did that live.

This is where it gets to be so clear that these guys are real artists.  I
guess you'd have to credit Pete as the composer.  This is the kind of
mature, serious composition that I think sets him on the level with Gershwin
and Copeland and other modern composers.  But then, everybody must have
contributed their little bit to it and should maybe be credited--Pete never
sounds this way by himself.  I love the way it ranges from the beautiful to
the harsh--in the center it has such a wonderful, mystic, haunting quality
that turns into a sound that can only be Pete ripping the strings off his
guitar.

I played the MG mp3 for a guy at work this week and he actually jumped a
couple of times.  It's strong music to affect people physically that way.

>Are the new lyrics on MG Rog's own?  Sounds like it. Still, two good
>messages.

Does sound like it, and also it seems to fit with the same theme as TKAA.
VERY promising, eh?

:)
keets