RE: FACE DANCES

>I've always felt that both FD and IH were just weak albums except for a few
>tunes. Just an observation ...but does anyone feel as if Pete just ran out
>of good tunes...concepts...ideas  ??. Think about it ...this guy writes
>Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers, Empty Glass, Chinese Eyes
>etc... That's a lot of music to be written by one's self......No Lennon and
>McCartney...No Jagger and Richards ...Just Pete. maybe the well just ran
>dry.............maybe that's why he might be hesitant to write new
>material...who knows...????

>>Pete's song-writing "unevenness" continued on into his solo efforts as
>>well.  Instead of *great* solo albums, we got a few *great* songs on
>>mostly mediocre efforts. Why do you think Pete is so worried about writing
>>new material for The WHO? Because his track record for the last 20 years
>>is spotty at best.  He knows that & he's worried.

He's said that it got harder as he got older.  Creativity does tend to drop
off that way, but Pete thought he was having major problems in the early
eighties when he produced the two songs I've been discussing here:
"Eminence Front" and "How Can You Do It Alone?"  Psychoderelict and the
Lifehouse play both have that same feel to them, too.  His problem just
isn't that bad.

That channeling thing he talks about isn't really all that rare.  A lot of
folks can do it, I suspect.  Everybody who recognizes it can likely do it to
an extent or they wouldn't know what they're listening to.  Pete's genius is
putting it into words.

The big question is why he overworked "How Can You Do It Alone?" to the
point that the meaning was gone out of it.  Lack of confidence it it?  He
had a good song there and completely gutted it.

keets