2000 light years from exciting; Face fencing; Come Hell or a Black Crowes concert

>they were in the first place). The Kinks are just too quaint.

Brian:

And they aren't together, and it doesn't look like they ever will be again.

>Are you sure 'bout this? The Stones have never sold that many albums.

Shawn:

Oh yes, they have. And compared to The Who...well, we don't really want to
do that. As Robert Cray would say, it's a shame and a sin.

>Woman for the 10,000 time). They have never done any of the box set

Singles, in 1989 I believe. A three disc set of their early singles and B
sides, marred by poor audio choices in the versions used.

>Did you see (or hear) any of the shows from thir most recent tour, No
>Security in 99?

It would HAVE to be better than the album! The album is an exercise in
playing without feeling, although I'll give them credit for playing some
rare songs. But it made me want to miss the tour. And who tours a live album
anyway, fer Gawd's sake?

I mean, besides The Who?

>Keith has tapped into. Have you heard Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

But that was 100 years ago. What has he done for me lately? And are you sure
it wasn't the excellent Mick Taylor who played that riff?

>has ever done. How about the acoustic on Street Fighting Man?

*200* years ago (and 2000 light years from here). BTW, it is Brian Jones who
plays lead over the top of the end of SFM.

>immediate.  In obscuring the emotional heart of the songs, Pete has made
>them forgettable.

Keets:

Uh, I think even if it had an emotional heart that and Did You Steal would
still suck. Suck is too nice a word, really...

>A mismatch.  It's what Pete was looking for.  It's Roger and John that
don't
>fit.

Are you sure? He used Big Country's Mark Brzezicki (yes, I had to go look it
up) as the drummer on many of his solo albums, during this period too, and
he's 100 times the drummer Ol' Kenny is/was/or ever will be. He isn't any
"tappity tap tap" like Jones. He plays a nice, powerful, tight beat.

>Speaking of bass, I sure do hear JAE on some of these songs.  Talk about
>heavy-handed.  ;)

Yeah, but where was Pete's guitar? Had it not been for John, it wouldn't
have BEEN a Who album!

>more than "You Better, You Bet" on stage?

Yes, they also played The Quiet One, Don't Let Go The Coat, and Another
Tricky Day (at least at Essen Germany).

>Definitely.  I don't know why people call it a "cult classic."  It's the
>real thing.

I guess because it got no mainstream attention. I remember it played at the
theater here for an entire week. I went twice, Quad being my favorite album
and the movie impressing me so. Then got the videotape, which was very late
getting to Hi-Fi and then not very impressive sounding (Tommy did sound
impressive, on the other hand). Now that I know the DVD also has poor sound
quality, I'm less than excited about getting it. I mean, Metallica's DVD of
S&M has features like being able to hear JUST the band or JUST the
orchestra, and interviews etc. And that's effin' Metallica, which mean
nothing in the Rock scheme of things. Quad was THE greatest Rock album of
all time (so far)! Injustice! Foul!

>Clinton or Daltry. Bill or Pete. 'Won't Get Fooled Again' versus 'I'll be
>with you till the last dog dies.'
>Choices like that are why they call this work."

Brian:

Actually I think Pete is the one who will be "with us till the last dog
bites."

>You're favorite song from the album?  Good one.  I'd like to hear "Did You
>Steal My Money," of course.

Keets:

Why, just to make me groan the way I did when I recently saw Stone Temple
Pilots (whose music owes a lot more to The Who) and they played the opening
riffs of In My Time Of Dying (which everyone thought was a Led Zeppelin
song, of course, not realizing it was an old folk tune). I thought, just for
a second, I was either in Hell or a Black Crowes concert by mistake...uh, it
would be a mistake either way, I mean.

"We must all hear the universal call to like
   your neighbor like you'd like to be liked yourself."
                           George W. Bush, Presidential candidate

        Cheers                 ML