Re: Pete's distributor is Who tours!

A running debate about production, distribution and sales models
for LIFEHOUSE CHRONICLES included:

> > If Pete used a distributor, he'd have to pay them part of the profit,
>and this way he gets the whole price, less what he's had to pay for
>manufacturing and packaging.  Music from the artist, direct to you.

>So why isn't it cheaper?

>It's the accepted market price.  It would be bad business to ask less and
>pass up a profit.

>It's hard to say what his expenses have been.  I'd expect small runs of cds
>to be more expensive per disk than large runs, plus he's had to  pay
>employees to handle the shipping and handling and pay the start up costs on
>the project and so on.  Luckily there's been very little advertising cost.
>In a competitive situation, I'm sure he could seriously undercut a record
>company, which has big overhead, what with the high-paid executives and all,
>but in this situation, a lower price might actually reduce the value of the
>product.  Let's go $6 on the whole thing.  What would you expect from a
>Lifehouse set that cost you a dollar a disk?  What would music critics have
>to say?

All I have to say is: Pete is clever businessman!

He used the Who's Tommy tour in 1989 to promote "Iron Man".
He used his own tour during the Broadway Tommy days and a couple of
	 pay-per-views to promote "Psycho-D".
He used the 1996-1997 Quad tour to promote the re-master of "Quad", and
	"CoolWalkingStraightTalking....InterviewContradicting....FireStoking".
And now, Pete is using the VH1 Storytellers, and the current
	 Who "Cause We are Old Friends" tour to promote
	"LIFEHOUSE" (Elements, Chronicles) and the re-mastering of "Who's Next".

These are his main advertising highways, and we are part of his
word-of-mouth (email) advertising avenues.  He has successfully circumvented
the record label using his web-site and occasionally stepping up on the
soapbox (stage).

I personally own everyone of the above mentioned products,
and dig them all.  Because I am a fan, the LIFEHOUSE book is worth $40 to
me without the music, which I would glady pay $10 per CD.  As for the radio
play, I have not listened to it yet, because of time (not because there are
other more popular or better produced radio plays pulling at my attention).

Clever guy that Mr. Townshend!

Joe

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware™ is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.