RE: Voices, I hear voices

>From: "L. Bird"
>Their voices are breaking lower,

(O'Neal, Kevin) I've noticed that.  Ah, getting older is such fun.

>I thought Pete did an excellent job with the songs, all of which were high
>enough that he had to worry about the pitch.  Wasn't that the first one
>where his voice cracked?

(O'Neal, Kevin) I didn't record the show, but it was early on when he
cracked.  Totally agree.  While worrying along with Pete, I was very
impressed with his voice.  He likes to get very close to that line. Risky,
but the pay-off is way worth it.

>Likely he had to locate about where it was going to break in order to work
>with it.

(O'Neal, Kevin) Exactly.  Kind of like touching a hot stove.  Do it once,
but then stay away.

>How does this one stack up to most of the
>Storytellers shows?  I suspect there more story and less song.  Pete does
>like to talk, but I thought it was completely entertaining.
>keets

(O'Neal, Kevin) Haven't seen too many others.  My impression has always been
that it is more story than music though.

Listening to LIVE "GETTING IN TUNE" as I write!  BtoB arrived yesterday!!!
Keep hope all, their comming!

>Roger's voice really bottoms out on the Johnny Cash covers

(O'Neal, Kevin) Yeah I saw that too and was a bit surprised, but it wasn't
too bad.  He pulled it together on the second day.

>When you say "limited range" and "always pushing his range", do
>you mean in live performance or in general? Lately or throughout his
>career? .

(O'Neal, Kevin) Hmmm. I guess that is a general statement of an over-all
impression.  Pete's voice seems to change (as does everyones) depending on
the season, time of day, year, how much he has been smoking....and what.
I mean some of his early demos from scoop sound like he just got high. Very
nasally.
In general, Pete can't reach up to where Roger can (IMO)with anything like
the same power that Roger can.
I agree with Keets though that both are breaking lower these days, but
that's natural.
Regarding the lower ranges, Roger can still hit lows, and again IMO, lower
than Pete and with more power (aka clarity/smothness/trueness).  Pete tends
to shift to a very old bluesey-style Primal "yalt" type voice whey he gets
into his lower register. It's a way of dealing with your limitations. I
personally like it.
To be clear...two GREAT voices that form once small piece of the grand
puzzle that *is* The Who.

>Although I like Roger's and Pete's voices better, I think John
>actually has a great range.
>Jim

(O'Neal, Kevin) Surprisingly huge!

I like his beard.  Thought he looked terrific.
keets

(O'Neal, Kevin) Yeah, the scruff suits him!

Peace,
Kevin in VT