Re: Voices

>Well, on THESE songs, I don't think he did great. To me, it's more a
>surprise that he attempts those low notes. To use Kevin's words, he's
>"pushing his range." And, on stage, I think Roger sometimes pushes his
>range on the high end, too. However, if you wanted to point out other
>examples of Roger's baritone, I'm sure I'd agree with you.

I thought he did okay on the Cash songs.  He did bottom out, but just
barely, and I like the songs, so I enjoyed them.  Certainly this isn't his
best range, but how may people are going to sound as great as Cash on those
songs?

Roger's definitely a tenor, but he can get down into the upper ranges of
baritone and "Pinball Wizard" from TOMMY is one of the best examples of
those overtones I was talking about.  Elton John had such a gorgeous voice
in 1975 and I thought he'd sound better than Roger on this song, but when I
heard it in the movie, Roger's still got him hands down.  Of course, it's
not even a little bit of a contest now.

>>Roger does, and did all through the Quad tour.  I'm surprised that
>>nobody seems to realize it.  Everybody just said his voice sounds
>>"thin" on the high notes.  Well, that's why.
>
>Okay, I threw that out without knowing if I could defend it. I'll
>listen to the '96 MSG Quad show again. Now that I think about it,
>"Guitar And Pen" is another good example of his falsetto. So what I
>should have said is that Pete uses falsetto for notes that Roger can
>sing without it. Is that better?

Dunno.  I'll have to check to see where Pete's voice is breaking these days.
  I think Roger's break is right on that high note at the end of "Love Reign
O'er Me."  Isn't that B?

keets