Passive/Agressive Pete (was: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #116

Joe Lewinski wrote:
> Because he is so aware of how hard he has had to work, he constantly discounts
> people that worship him.  On several occasions when an interviewer is
> sucking up
> to him and throwing him softball-sucking-up questions, he tells them to
> piss off.
> Then he'll demand attention with stage antics, or bold statements.  It's a
> cry for
> attention, that when he get's it he rejects it if it is not on terms with
> his mood.

I think you've nailed him.  He really has a "Groucho's Club" problem.  Sort of I
don't want to have fans that would be fans of me.  I think he confuses his
abilities as an artist with his personal worth; that if we "follow" him, we must
think he's an avatar like Meher Baba.  But you don't have to like an artist to
think he's talented.  Richard Wagner had great musical talent but if there's a
hell, he's roasting in it.  And I can think Pete's one of the greatest artists
of the 20th Century and still think he's a putz half the time.

		-Brian in Atlanta