Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #112

>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: After The Fire
>
> I always thought this song was about Keith Moon.

>Carla:

>Could be, and that would then be about The Who too. Keith defined himself
>as The Who's wacky drummer.

No.
I had to go out of town for a few days.  I apologize if this is old now but
I felt I had to explain myself, I guess I should of been more specific to
begin with (sorry).  I felt the song was not just about Moon in general but
about his death.

With the fire being Keith then:
After the Fire    (death of Moon)
The fire still burns,    (his spirit/memory/ remain)
The heart grows older,    (those left, carry on)
but never ever learns,    (still abusing drugs & alcohol etc...)
The memories smoulder,    (sometimes memories begin to fade)
and the soul always yearns, (but remembering him still hurts)

After the fire, the fire still burns. ...

I heard a vice asking what happens after the fire,
(what happens now that Keith is gone)

etc...The world continues on its course... hardly noticing the loss...

I saw Matt Dillion in Black and White there ain't no colour in memories,
(some people don't dream/visualize in colour)
Now I'm cycling all my video tapes, I'm crying and I'm joking,
( bitter sweet memories while watching tapes of Keith.)

I've gotta stop drinking,
...thinking,
...smoking,
(you get the picture)

The fire still burns, raging through the pain
Blackening the promises the tears and the rain
The fire will burn
'Til the wind begins to turn
And it all begins again.
(he will always miss him)