Re: Whofest March madness, Taking a long time

> How about NYC for the convention?
>
> You know that is Pete's favorite place right?
> Maybe he would stop by.....you never know.....

George:

I don't see why you can't have one in NYC, however doing it "just in case
Pete might stop by" is probably not a good reason. He didn't go to the
official one in London, which was more likely.
I'm not promising anything that's not already here: we have a beach, we
have LOTS of amusements including a HOB, Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood...and
we have the Baba Center. Oh, yeah, and the best durn used CD store in the
nation.
These things are an absolute.

> My suggestion is we place ad's to see if we can get some Who cover bands
and
> maybe have them compete to see who's better who's best!!!!!!

But who's going to pay them? Does this mean we now have to charge people?
Tickets? A venue? Who's going to deal with all of that?

> Well maybe since the last 2 Who Conventions took place in London; the 1st
in
> 1995 & recently this past September; it would be alittle easier on the
> budget to have one in the US.  Not to mention a bit more fair for those
who
> were not able to make the trip.

Kathleen:

Not to mention the last one (at least, by all reports) wasn't particularly
noteworthy.

Look, I didn't mean to start a big debate here. I was asked about this by a
list member a few months ago, as he knew I'd already hosted a successful
gathering. Then Derick expressed interest, and Hell *I* would certainly
enjoy it. I KNOW how much fun it can be. You guys are all welcome ("Come
into the light"), and I hope even if you come to MB for no other reason
than to vacation you'll stop by my store and say Hi and take a look at my
photo of The Who in Chicago circa 1967. Worth the trip alone, that is.
OK, I can see why someone in Texas or California might not want to come to
South Carolina (as mentioned in Before I Get Old and on Seinfeld). New
Yorkers, on the other hand, come here constantly just for the fun of the
place. Naturally the more people the better, and if we had three gatherings
it would probably be the best solution...one on each coast and one in the
middle somewhere. Then too anyone in the UK & Europe can get one together
over there, either in London or wherever they like. There are also
interesting possibilities if we have all of them at the same time, since we
can be in contact via an online chat or something.
I have volunteered to help here (as I'm on the scene) should anyone wish to
visit, and this is a good place to vacation for those who have families as
well. If another east coast locale is selected, fine. I can only offer my
services, and they can remain unused with no hard feelings. Actually, if it
was completely up to me I'd have it in the Smoky Mountains because that is
the most beautiful place in the US, but I'm not living there (yet). We do
what we can do, right?

> be as well.  And therefor taking the positions of all of us youngins out
there
> who can barely pay for gas money

Lorin:

Ah, I forgot about that. There are cheap shuttle flights to MB from
Chicago, NYC, Atlanta, DC, and so on. I think on the order of $70 each way.
I'll be happy to provide more info if there's an interest.

> Now the other half of the above quote I believe is incorrect.

McGoo:

Now WHY does your disagreement not surprise me? No, it's not incorrect.
It's just not an absolute (nor did I say it was). I didn't say or even
imply that taking a long time to create something will always mean it's not
good (or great). Just that taking a long time doesn't automatically mean
it's better. Than something that took a short time. For instance, the
incredibly influencial classic Lord Of The Rings (you're familiar with it,
right?) took over ten years to write...

> Stephen King has actually produced art, something I would be very
reluctant to
> believe).

He has created Art, just not very good Art.