4/4 = Rock

>>Any Beatles fan should be happy to point out how many of their early
>> songs have that waltz beat.
> Then they might actually not be rock music

Well, if 4/4 is a sinonym for rock music, then...
1. Disco is rock music
2. Rap/hip-hop is rock music
3. Rush is NOT rock music
4. King Crimson is far from being rock music
5. Blues is rock music
6. Techno/dance music is rock music
7. Folk (or some of it) is rock music
and so on...

Yeah, most of rock (especially from the 50's) is played using 4/4
tempos, but there's plenty of rock music which is NOT 4/4 and an
enourmous number of music styles that ALSO uses 4/4 tempos. So, I think
that a better way of classify what is and what is not rock should be
used instead of just tempo.

Just imagine: Using this we could say that Milli Vanilli do rock music
and that Tom Sawyer is not a rock song... And I think this is a bit
strange, don't you?