Re: Blues Plate Special, Rock, AntiChrist of Rock, couple'a numbers from Leon, & Cochran (not Johnny)

> Likely we're hearing different aspects of their technique (see recent
> discussion of Who music).

Keets:

I DO believe you are focusing on the production of Hendrix's songs in the
studio, that is: what Chas Chandler did to them (which I happen to like,
but apparently Jimi didn't). Whereas I'm talking about the live stuff, the
way he actually played w/o tampering by an engineer or producer.
Hendix in the studio sounds much like what Shel Talmy did with The Kinks on
SOMETHING ELSE. A brilliant job, IMHO.

> Then they might actually not be rock music, only selling in that
> marketplace.

No, it's still Rock. It just incorporates the waltz beat. After all, if you
introduce a Classical theme into a Pop song, does it then become Classical?
Course not! Ask Nigel Tuffanel (Spinal Tap) if you don't believe me!

> definition based on the general effect.  No fair using the broad
> definition, though, and then excluding some things that qualify (disco)
> just because you don't like 'em.

You have to be as broad as needed, to define. RnR came from Blues and Rock
came from RNR, so of course there's some carry-over.
Disco was manufactured in a studio and has no roots of any kind. It is
therefore not Rock. It's anti-Rock. It was the AntiChrist of Rock. Evil,
wicked, mean and nasty.

> <sigh>  There's a certain style of singing that goes with the blues
> music.

Really? I don't know what you mean. Rog has always had that rough, raw,
powerful delivery from day one. But he rarely sang the Blues.

> Enjoyed listening to the man--it's been a while.

Try SHELTER PEOPLE. It's the better album.

> He does sound like  Willy Nelson with a super
> bad cold, doesn't he

You mean WORSE THAN WILLIE? Hard to imagine...but I like Russell.

> I don't know that either one of
> them is actually a country artist, though.  They're sort of
> unclassifiable.

I'd call Nelson definitely Country but straying into Pop. Leon has done
RnR, Rock, Blues, Country, and Gospel. Depends on the song/album. Guess
he's gotta be Rock.

> The only acceptable discussion topics for this list are the following:

YL:

You mean I can't discuss finally finding the Sugar album BESIDES with the
live version of Armenia, and how pleased I am...because despite the fact
that all of them list the song...some copies don't have it? So "the buyer"
will beware, and make sure they get the right one?

NO FAIR!

> original, and he wrote another song called "Three Steps to Heaven" which
is
> a beautiful pop song, at least as rendered by Pete in some of his solo
> shows.

Alan:

REALLY? I had no idea Pete was covering this song! It's about the plane
crash which killed Buddy Holly & company.

> I've never heard Cochran's original recording of that.  I hope
> someday to find a CD or LP of his greatest hits and see what I've been
> missing.

It's on the "best of," can't recall the name but I've got it at home. I
actually like Cochran better than I do Elvis. More power.