A Rock Elitest, SRV, Holly, Lifehouse

> Elitist.

Keets:

When it comes to Rock music, guilty as charged. With no shame.

> To end this dance: I simply feel SRV is better than Hendrix, thus my poor
ears
> hear beyond this similarity.

Canute:

One of my criteria for "better" is innovation, so I'd have to give Hendrix
the nod. Then again, diversity is what makes life sweet.

> I do agree that this is a great format to discuss Blues and R&B. As you
said
> it is the root of The Who.  (If not rock in general, starting with Buddy
> Holly.)

Buddy Holly was definitely an innovator. His music sounds like a mix
between Rockabilly (Elvis's territory) and Folk, with a little Blues mixed
in there. His biggest influence might have been on The Beatles, although
there are plenty who think See My Way on AQO is a very Holly-like song.

> Hi! My name is Susan and I'm a _HUGE_ Who fan!

Now WHY does this note sound so familiar? Of legendary proportions, one
might even say. Bet anyone on the O&S list could answer that...10 points
for the correct answer, but sent privately please.

>         These last two: were recorded about the same time and the liner
> notes to the remastered "Who's Next" seem to indicate Pete included them
in
> his vision of Lifehouse.

Jeffree:

On the IOW & Tanglewood shows, Daltrey indicates IDEKM is from the upcoming
album "we're half through recording." Since one can assume PT had the
Lifehouse concept before writing the songs...
Besides, Townshend had a history of older incorporating songs into his new
works. A good example of this would be She's A Sensation, which when
brought into the TOMMY story became I'm A Sensation.

> the rest of the material and "Baby,DYDI" was written by others.

And they'd been doing it since they started. My guess is it was to be a
song the Rock group played, which brought the people together in order to
ascend...

> According to an interview recently posted, songs from "Who Are You"
> should be included

Keets;

Oh, let's hope not! It would be SO MUCH better if it uses only the original
songs! It was bad enough to add horns to The Who in 1989, and don't even
get me started about the damned drum machine...but this would definitely
bring the work down to a lessor level.