Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #150

>To: TheWho-Digest@igtc.com
>Date: Tues 22nd June 1999 (11:18:10 UK time)
>
>Re: Mark Leaman - I agree with Jon; Mark's contribution did seem a bit
>snooty - unnecessarily so. But viva diversity I suppose.
On another tack entirely: how do members of this list feel about "tribute"
bands? I went to see such a band, "The Maximum Who" at a club in Liverpool
on Friday night - and it was a bizarre experience. A small but hugely vocal
crowd packed into a tiny club, sweating to the rafters - and singing along
passionately to every number. The band, not great look-a-likes, managed a
fair stab at covering the numbers. Starting with "I Can't Explain" and
"Substitute" they romped on through "Anyway, Anywhere, Anyhow", "Happy
Jack", "A Legal Matter", into "Tommy" ("Overture", "Acid Queen", "Amazing
Journey", "Sparks", "Pinball Wizard", "We're Not Gonna Take It" and
appropriate finale), onto "Summertime Blues", "5.15", "Baba O'Riley",
"Behind Blue Eyes" and rounded off the night with an encore of "My
Generation" and "WGFA". It was odd to be seeing a band making a fairly
decent swipe at THOSE songs in such surroundings. Somehow it made seeing the
real thing even more real, and even more wond'rous. But then I get carried
away too easily...
So - the big question - tribute bands - are they a fun night out, giving us
the chance to hear the material in a real, live format - or a traducing
insult to the godlike genius of our true heroes?