Re: Repeats & a Hendrix rap

> I disagree with this statement made by Bill:
>
> <<The Who, maybe more than any other band in history, are
> notorious for spreading their material over as many albums as possible.>>

Kentavo:

Me too. The Stones were notorious for having the same song on several
albums...can anyone say: Ruby Tuesday? They also would release any old
slag, like their God-awful versions of My Girl and Under The
Boardwalk...not to mention a mono studio version of Fortune Teller on a
stereo live album, all tarted up to seem live (seem that way to morons, I
GUESS...it was pretty obvious).

> Take the Hendrix catalog for instance. Try getting something beyond the
> Experience's 3 studio albums.

I don't know about this, however. You're not talking about the live albums,
are you? I mean, after all the man had a TON of material for someone who
died after only 3 years of a career, but yes the live offerings are bound
to repeat certain songs. And given the confusion over the material he
recorded for his next album, which was about 3 albums worth if you don't
count the unfinished stuff, it's no surprise that their subsequent release
was a fiasco. I'll give Reprise credit; they put it out in a fairly orderly
manner (CRY OF LOVE, HENDRIX IN THE WEST, RAINBOW BRIDGE, WAR HEROES) until
Alan Douglas got involved, and added studio musicians to the unfinished
stuff. Since then it's been a scramble; MCA got the rights and rereleased
everything...but deleted COL & RB in favor of the inferior VOODOO SOUP (the
material has been remastered and in some cases remixed, but not always to a
superior version). Now the family has the rights, and they've released this
post-death stuff AGAIN as FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN, with the
original mixes intact but some static or buzzing "added" for no reason I
can imagine. Supposedly the famous Eddie Kramer supervised, so how could he
have missed this??? But anyway, NROTRS is also inferior to COL & RB (IMHO),
and HITW (which I consider his best live album, and consists largely of the
Berkley shows) remains unreleased. Unfortunately. On the other hand, his
family has released "new" and interesting studio material in a collection
called SOUTH SATURN DELTA. The sad thing is there are still a few worthy
yet unreleased studio cuts out there, like Star Spangled Banner and Burning
Desire, with little chance of seeing CD at this point.