Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #25

At 10:32 -0800 1/27/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:14:13 -0500
>From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
>Subject: Overrating, American Bands, Drum Machines, Thomas, and some
>Pretty Things
>
>> I'll stick up for the Eagles in a limited way...everything UP TO but NOT
>> INCLUDING the "Hotel California" album is quite listenable.
>
>Alan:
>
>Even One Of These Nights for the 1000th time?

Hmm.  Nope :-).

>Or Lying Eyes? Or an endless
>version of Take It To The Limit?

Hm.  Nope, nope.  Actually, I didn't think about it enough to realize those
were pre-California.  Into this "useless" tub we can also throw, of course,
"Witchy Woman", which I think was also pre-C.  I was thinking more of
"Bitter Creek", "Desperado" (despite its gross radio overexposure), and
most of the "On the Border" album.  I could probably name more if I had
copies of the earlier albums, which I don't.  I only own "On the Border"
and was lucky enough to see them touring to support it in '73 in a joint in
Austin, with my feet propped up on the turned-over table which formed the
barricade in front of the stage.

>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:33:29 -0200
>From: Lucas Bleicher <bleicher@who.net>
>Subject: Overrated/Underrated
>
>Oh, why? I have some Rush records and I can say they're REALLY good.

I know many people like them a lot and I don't begrudge them that.  The
song about Radio isn't bad.  They just strike me as very talented but
flashy jazz musicians at heart who turned up the volume.  Their displays of
prowess don't do anything for me, even as I recognize the musicianship it
takes to produce them.  If it helps any, I do like much of ELP -- I
consider Karn Evil 9, all three parts, a masterpiece -- even as I realize
many people accuse them of the same pompousness as I accuse Rush.

>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:12:22 -0600
>From: "Chuck R. J. Vinyard" <crv@ipat.com>
>Subject: RE: Overrated/Underrated
>
>Rush is overrated and they blow goat.  Fuck you all!

I'd say Chuck's debut post was a bit uncalled for in tone, but I thought
this was funny.

>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:14:44 PST
>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: misconceptions about Glow Girls
>
>Not a dating service?  Chee.  Just when you had all the guys really
>interested.
>
>keets

This too.

And in conclusion, gentle readers, may I mention three li'l words:  Trim
your posts.  Please?

Thank you and good night,

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)