Re: Moonie's Way

Sterile and bland?  Or just different?  I've always thought KJ was Pete
Townshend's move toward a cooler medium--jazz.  Rock is hot, emotional
stuff, and definitely The Who's territory before KJ.  But even before
Keith died, you can hear the difference in PT's solo albums; that was
the direction he wanted to go--cooler and more intellectual.  Likely it
hurt his ears a lot less, too.

I wouldn't go so far as to say KJ was the best choice for a new drummer,
as he didn't seem flexible enough to work it both ways.  His drumming
style didn't graft well onto the older work, and I personally think
Pete's current interpretations have the same problem.  All that old
music with the power chords and the wild abandon was written for Keith
Moon.  You need a drummer with fire to play it right.

keets