Re: The Pretty things

Further to what Sheryl wrote, S. F. Sorrow was acknowledged by Pete as
the first rock-opera as early as 1972/73. The original band included
Dick Taylor, Vic Prince and Phil May (the name rings a bell but I can't
think why) in 1964. The band, to quote "Projected outrageous, evil image
that made Stones, who they rivalled for a short while, look as clean cut
as Beatles". Their next album, Parachute, released in 1969 was voted the
Rolling Stone album of the year (what else, besides the obvious, was
released that year?). It, along with S. F. Sorrow, was totally ignored
by the public. The band split in 1970 and reformed in 1971 with only May
remaining. All the info was obtained from the NME Book of Rock 1973.
Also from the same book:
"With (Tommy) Townsend finally realised his master plan, ..." "... time
has shown it (Tommy) to lack the immediacy and coherence of the group's
less ambitious work." And my favourite, the final sentence, "It remains
to be seen whether he (Townsend) and The Who have played themselves
out."
Granny