Re: Tommy in New York City

Brian, re:

>Gosh, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but "The Who's Tommy" closed on
>Broadway June 17th, 1995.  As my wife says when I bring it up: "Why, oh
>why has
>Tommy closed and Cats is still open?"  I wish you and your class could
>have seen
>it.  It was wonderful.

He's right.  It was fantastic.  And your wife is right on the mark, Cats
really sucks :-)  I'm an actor and I've seen a lot of things on Broadway in
the past 15 years.  Tommy was the best thing I've seen.  I saw it three
times, and the only thing that's come close was Rent.  And by the time I
was ready to take my then-9 year old brother to see it, it had closed- for
what reason, I have no clue, but it really was a shame.

Brian Wright, if you're still looking for a musical, I would suggest Rent
(it has some questionable language and situations, both sexual and drug, so
you should let your teacher know that), Chicago, or the old faithfuls of
Les Miserables or Phantom.

If you're willing to go Off-Broadway, "Tubes" by Blue Man Group is a
fantastic piece of performance art that really keeps the audience
captivated.  It's truly fantastic and a lot of wild fun.  Let me describe
it as such- if you sit in the first 5 or 6 rows, they give you a poncho to
cover yourself with :-)

Hope this helps.

jay

 		   <hare@acsu.buffalo.edu>
           	http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~hare
           Wen yu fre fal, fynd iff heven waitz. - David Ives