Daltrey, Rael, Lifehouse, and Glyn's retreat

> Wasn't "Daltrey" in between?  In an interview he said that was where he
> had to learn to sing.

Keets:

That was after WN, I think `73.

> - - The Red Chins are the Communist Chinese

Beau:

I'll give some of them a shot. Correct on this one.

> - - What is Rael (besides Pamela's daughter)?  Is it a country, city,
town, state of mind?

No definite info, but my guess is he got the name from Is-Rael. Israel is
the "holy land" of at least three of the world's major religions, so it was
a good choice to convey what Pete intended to get across. Since the demo
version has That Motherland Feeling, I would imagine it's a country.

> - - Where is Rael?  Does it supposed to be along the Chinese boarder?

One would assume so, since they invade Rael (via "the borders"). Me, I've
always placed it right beside Middle Earth on the map...

> - - Why is Christmas 'the' day for the Captain to return?

Just a good reference point, and another religious symbol which strengthens
the spiritual feel of the song.

> - - Is there a significance to the colors of the flags
>   other than what they will mean to the Captain?

It's down to good imagery. My guess is that yellow is considered a
"cowardly" color and red might be considered "bold." Remember that (good)
lyrics are meant to create a image, feeling, or vision in your mind...not
just colorlessly describe something (no pun intended)...so the colors would
serve to enhance the feeling PT wanted you to have during this part of the
song.

> I've got it!  The narrator in the song is actually Tennille!!!

YIKES!!! No way!

> There was the 1996 BBC special "Lifehouse: The One That Got Away" in
which Pete
> talks about how "Who Are You" was meant to go into "Lifehouse 2."

Brian:

If it's the one with some dialogue and many demos, and a few songs from
PSYCHO, then it's the one I'm thinking of. None of the WAY music was
included and none of it fits the original Lifehouse story according to my
understanding (which is imperfect, I'm sure). I missed the "part two" bit
(been a few years since I've listened to it), but who else but Pete
Townshend would consider a sequel to something that's never been made in
the first place?
And with its perfect storyline and ending, why would he even consider a
sequel?
So when is he writing Quads II? "I'm a boy/I'm a girl/See, my Ma had me
neutered..."

> What I've heard is that he quit after Roger picked a fight with him over
what
> Roger felt was the over-orchestration of some of the songs.

I'm sure it was a combination of many such things and that was the final
straw. However, Moon's condition is always mentioned. The bottom line is:
Johns was frustrated because he couldn't get anything done.