Re: Pure and Easy and Long

>From: Cheryl Posner-Weber <otter@execpc.com>

>>I present my own tale as an invitation to others to do the same.<<

Cheryl I just loved the post.  I am a thirty-something worshipper myself
and admittedly have read but not participated in a very long while.
Hopefully this will be my re-introduction into the activities that take
place here.

It was 1975 when the doors of the cathedral opened and I walked down the
aisle.  I was 10 years young when I knelt at the alter, looked up and
saw that first vision of my savior hanging on that cross.  I must say
before I continue that it is 24 years later and the feeling are just as
strong when I stand at the foot of stage, look up and see him.

My oldest & closest brother was leaving for Paris Island (Marine
BootCamp)and I was sick (throughout my young life he had unwittingly
become my protector of sorts).  Before he left he gave me his stereo and
2 8-track tapes one of them being TOMMY.  He really had no idea what he
was doing; Tommy was left because it was actually his least favorite.

At my first listen I literally crawled inside it; I became it - it
became me. I wore it as a cacoon, that's how profound the experience.
I was dumb, muted with fear of my tormentor; deaf to the calls of those
that loved and blind to the path of freedom that awaited.  I'm not
saying I was saved that instant; nothing is that easy but I was amazed
at how he knew me. I was no longer alone.

After that, it was all I listened to but I needed more.  Every penny was
gold and as I saved I continued to collect albums. 1 1/2 years later at
12 I finally purchased Quad and with that I was saved.  Yes, another
male protagonist but I truly identified with Jimmy.  The Real Me, Cut My
Hair, Helpless Dancer, Dirty Jobs, I am One, Drown, Love Reign O'er Me
and yes ladies even the anger and frustration of Dr Jimmy.  It was Quad
that took off the blinders of fear.  I believe the most religious
experience I have ever had was that first night at MSG in July of 1996.
As I stood there hearing the waves crash, John's french horn in a
distance, Phil Daniels yell out "That was me that was back in 1964!",
Roger asking the question then John's thundering bass line I was lifted
up to the rafters.  It was simply exquisite; after all I had waited for
this my entire life.

Quite simply to answer Mr Don Maclean's questions:

Yes, I do believe in Rock & Roll and it can save the mortal soul.

This is my religion and anyone who comes into my house gets that rather
quickly. I thank Joe (see George Carlin) for this and other lists like
it.  I have met & made some wonderful friends.

Kathleen

**Your promises to train me are just attempts to restrain me.**   PT