Prayer

Mook says:

> Not true. Pete alwas said that "See Me Feel Me...Listening to You" was a
> prayer (Just as he said "Love, Reign O'er Me" was).
>
> Mook

The original message says:

> Alan wrote:
> >Wow...I too have been listening to Tommy for the better part of three
> >decades and interpret the end as saying that Tommy, hurt by the
> rejection
> >of the would-be followers he tried to help, recoils back into himself
> ("See
> >me feel me..."), but does not revert to deaf/dumb/blindness, instead
> >carrying on with normal senses but realizing that he himself is all he
> has
> >to rely on ("Listening to You" being addressed to himself).
> This is pretty cool.  I always maintained that for the self-enlightened,
> change every reference to "God", "Father", "Jesus", etc. to "I", "Me",
> "My"
> in the Bible, and it all works and makes sense.   What Pete is saying
> here is
> that we have to look into ourselves for strength, direction, and
> validation.   I believe he was/is correct, IMHO.Joe

I say:The "See Me Feel Me" and "Listeneing to You" themes are heard many times
throughout Tommy.  And I think they are a prayer at some points (A prayer to his own
image in the mirror), but they take on new meanings in the new contexts in which
they are played.  I think you are correct, Mook, but Alan's interpretation is still
valid.  And I think Pete would agree that Tommy finally realizes that he doesn't
hold the key to everyone's enlightenment, only his own enlightenment.

By the way, Mook, I love Steve Martin.

Long Live Rock!

Howard P.