Re: Report Card

At 05:12 PM 10/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Bruce, Carolyn, and any others who might be interested...I did made a
>CDr copy of the Virgin label version of MY GENERATION yesterday, and
>compared it to the true mono MCA release. And the verdict is in: NO
>QUESTION it sounds better. More depth, more three dimensional...don't
>know how to say it, but could hear the difference immediately as I
>played the MCA disc. That one sounds flater, less real. This is
>absolutely the best-sounding version I've ever heard.

And the original Brunswick is just a hair better than the Virgin.  Both
Virgin and Brunswick vinyl versions are vastly superior to the MCA CD, even
the new mono.  And to put an old rumor to rest, I've never heard a single
copy of the Virgin "My Generation" over a period of almost 20 years now
where the vinyl seemed to have deteriorated in any way other than normal wear.

I'm also sure MCA could today put out a great sounding CD of MG, but
everyone is still waiting for the Shel Talmy business to be settled.  I
wonder if it is ever going to happen and just wish they'd make a good
cleaned-up CD off the vinyl as they did for the box set.

			-Brian in Atlanta