JAE in Chattanooga

No that wasn't the Chattanooga Choo Choo shaking the rafters
last night, it was the smooth stylings of the Ox and co.!  Well
after hearing glowing reviews all summer I was ready for this
one, and the band did not disappoint.

The venue Sing Sing Dueling Pianos (?!) is a small "up close and
personal" (as the ad read) bar.  We ran a little late (walked in as the
band got off the bus) so all the tables up front in front John were gone.
We ended up on a small balcony where I took my place in front of stage right.
The crowd was around 50 to 75.  I liked the smaller crowd myself, less
people getting in my way.

I had hopes of no opening act since the only equipment on stage belonged
to the JAE band.  Unfortunately, it was not to be.  At 8pm two guys playing
an acoustic and bass (plugged straight into the PA) bored us to death for
30m.  At least it gave me time to pay the rent.

At 9:11 Johnny hit the stage.  First off John was playing hurt.  His right hand
obviously sore as he shook hands with his left hand.  Never fear, I only wish I could
play that good with two painfree hands.  As stated by others the band is better
than '96 for many reasons.  There IS a mix this time as apposed to a wall of sound.
Every instrument could be clearly heard, even the guitar!  I think a lot of this is
down to the fact that John only brought the "lower east side" of "Little Manhattan". :)
Sacrificing a few decibels for some clearity was appreciated, earplugs were still required.
I'm sure it doesn't hurt they are playing "new" songs (No Boris!).

Onto the set: (In correct order!)

Horror Rock
The Real Me
My Size
Sometimes
Success Story
Trick Of The Light
Had Enough
Endless Vacation
Shaking All Over (monster bass solo)
905
The Darker Side of Night
Under A Raging Moon (Even the monkey sounds better this time around)
My Wife
Heaven & Hell (dedicated to me, well at least he was pointing at me)
Horror Rock

Encore
Young Man Blues (Leeds flashback, maybe I shouldn't be so negative about John
                 overdubbing the Hull tape.) :)

I feel sorry for those spoiled Atlantians (you know who you are :))who didn't
want to go to this show cause it was too far away, you really missed out.
This show was so much better than '96 it isn't even funny.  I'm glad they are
taping the shows.  Speaking of which, if anybody out there also taped the show
email me NOW!  We will work something out.

The meet & greet was John standing by the bus taking care of everyone.  He didn't
get my asking for the autograph of the Detours bass player John Brown. :)  I was
kind of hoping he would sign it John Brown but he had a hard enough time finding
an open space to sign (signed just under Dougie's signature).

Bruce

PS I hope Laurie didn't mind our off key singing, happy birthday. :)