Re: Philly '73 to be released

On 03/21/98 14:52:07 you wrote:

>AAIIIIEEEEE! God in Heaven, WHY??? A freakin' INTERVIEW disc, when they
>have an (at least) 2 hour show's worth of material???
>I see it's not ONLY MCA/Polydor who have "brain surgeons" working for
>them!
>Let's take a poll: how many times do you all think you'll listen to the
>interview disc as opposed to the concert disc?
>Is there still time to set this right????

Before everyone freaks let's look at this.  I seriously doubt KBFH would
include an interview CD as a second CD if the concert was on only one CD.
This may be GOOD.  What I read into this is that there is MORE music than
will fit on one CD.  Therefore, the balance of the second CD maybe filled up
with interviews.   A '73 show normally ran around 100-110m.  Obviously, this
is more than will fit on one CD.  What they would have to do is have the first
CD with around 70m and the second CD with the remaining 30-40m of the concert.
To "fill up" the second CD interviews could be used.  If they were only going to
release one CD then there would be a problem as part of the show would be missing,
and there would be no reason to include a second CD with just interviews.

This same situation happened with the KBFH's Deep Purple CD.  Since one CD could not
include a complete concert they made it a two CD set with a complete show and used
material from a second show as filler for the second CD.  The problem with doing
this with a Who disc is that although they did record two shows, they (most likely)
played the exact same set.  So any filler would be versions of the same songs.
While I would much rather have this than interviews KBFH marketing may see it
otherwise.  Also, rumours say that the second show may be a subpar performance.

Bruce

PS - Apparently, the new issue of Spin has a blurb about this (Who KBFH CD) subject.