Pete's Musical Education

I too have read that Pete is a self-taught musician.  I read that his
father encouraged him to learn to read music but that Pete had no interest
in doing that.  His father explained to him that he would help him later on
in his career.
When the Broadway production of Tommy was being put together I read that
Pete had a difficult time explaining to the musicians his music and so he
began learning to read music at that time.

Who cares - the guy's a genius whether he can read music or not.