odds n' sods

     Hello everyone.  I finally had enough money to go and buy the new Odds n'
Sods yesterday.  I was very excited that it had some stuff that I hadn't heard
yet.  MCA is a strange beast though.  I have the bootleg "Life with the moons"
and the Cousin Kevin/Model Child is vastly superior to the one that is here.
The case is also the same with Virginia, which ended up on Face Dances as It's
in You (with a very noticable glitch).  Anyway, I find it cool and amusing to
listen to stuff like Baby Don't You Do It.  Roger starts off flat right away,
but it is pure early Who--mistakes give recordings some of their character.
Time is Passing gets a new interpretation with Roger singing it, and the sound
over all is remarkably cleaned-up.
     We Close Tonight is interesting.  I am wondering though, is this the song
that Pete once said John had written for Quadrophenia which "summed it all up,
but he won't play it for me?"
     One of the things that I find disappointing with the re-issues is that
some of the new mixes have eliminated oscillating parts.  Glow Girl now falls
into that catergory.  The guitar solo/pick slide used to go from speaker to
speaker.  Now it rests on just one side.
     At any rate, it is good to be able to pick up something new by the band.
I really hope that MCA isn't going to let the original My Generation fall by
the wayside.  After all, they said in the most recent greatest hits that it
would be done.  But then again, they are a record label.  And that means they
are a business.  And that means fans interests and artistic integrity are not
number one on their list.  Such is life.  At least the music remains.

Mike
"It's only by the music I'll be free."