New Odds and Sods - liner notes innacuracies

I know I don’t know everything about The Who but I have studied
their history now for some time and the mistakes made in the liner
notes to the new "Odds & Sods" reissue struck me as so obvious
and egregious that I couldn’t let it stand without a correction.  I
just know that 2 or 3 years from now someone will say "but the
liner notes to ‘Odds & Sods’ says…"

"Summertime Blues" - the liner notes have this as being recorded
June 28th, 1967.  This is the same date as the recording of the
Rolling Stones Jail single which was recorded without John (he
was away on honeymoon at the time).  The actual recording date
in Nov. 10th, 1967.  Like "My Way," which has the right date,
this was from a selection of tracks quickly recorded for the BBC at
a point when The Who had decided to record their own tracks
for their BBC appearances instead of letting the BBC do it.

"Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand" - is listed as previously
unreleased.  It is not.  It is a stereo version of the track originally
released as the B-side to "I Can See For Miles" in the U.S.  The
one on the reissued "The Who Sell Out" that is listed as being
this b-side is not and is, in fact, a previously released version.
(Whew! Got that?)

"Young Man Blues" - listed as having been previously released
on the Track sampler "The House That Track Built."  It is not.
This is a radically different take to that one and is previously
unreleased.

"Cousin Kevin-Model Child" - is listed as having been rejected
in favor of "Cousin Kevin."  It was not.  It was originally a bridge
between the songs "Fiddle About" and "Cousin Kevin" and was
removed about halfway through the recording of "Tommy."

"Pure and Easy" - listed as having been recorded in March 1971.
The original O&S listed this has having been recorded during the
 May 1972 sessions.  It might also have been recorded in late
April, May or June of 1971, but definitely not March.  At least
 this is more accurate than the date given for this version of the
 song in the above box set where it was given as March 1973.

"Postcard," "Now I’m a Farmer," "Water" and "Naked Eye" -
This one is wild.  These songs are listed as having been recorded
between August 14th and 16th, 1973 which would have put them
a month and a half after the recording of "Quadrophenia" and
a month before John began compiling the original "Odds and
Sods!"  In fact, about a year after I first heard them on a bootleg!
They were actually recorded in 1970, probably August (so the
dates may be right if you substitute 1970 for 1973).

These mistakes wouldn’t mean that much if information
about The Who were readily available, but it’s not.  So
people will rely on the information in these liner notes.
I just wish some effort had been made to get it right.

                                     -Brian in Atlanta

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]