Re: Pete Townshend's Writing

> Pete's open-endedness is a result of his inability to make a decision.  Now,
> don't get me wrong...it's not that he never made/makes decisions it's that he
> sees many angles

Laurie:

Not to disagree, but any good writer does...HAS to. If five people
witness an event, they will have five different stories...this MUST be
taken into account when describing something.
You may be right on target about PT's indecisiveness...although from the
"outside," it appears more that he makes up his mind (and makes
statements about it as if it's the most important information in
history), then changes his mind (and makes statements about THAT etc.).

> "Nothing is Everything, Everything is Nothing is",

This, at least, should be credited to Meher Baba...not Pete.

> "the simple things you see are all complicated", "Let me be stormy, let me be
> calm".

I think these two lines work; the first means the character is telling
his girlfriend she's being very superficial and doesn't know him as well
as she thinks, the second describes the abrupt mood swings Jimmy is
prone to.

> I relate to Pete's writings because I think it shows his humanness,
> his confusion, his weakness.

I find it interesting how many women are attracted to weakness even as
others are to strength in a man. However, the fact that Pete is willing
to show his "white underbelly" is definitely one thing that makes his
writing more interesting.

> I think Pete, being the genius that he is, leaves open doors for the audience
> to surmise meaning for themselves.

Yes, and I appreciate that too. Those who prefer their stories all
worked out neat and nice are fans of OTHER bands...no names
neccessary...

> Then of course he denies any hidden meaning in the things he's saying.... :)

Don't they all? Perhaps Pete is emulating his inspiration Dylan here. It
also absolves him from all responsibility, which I've noticed he tends
to seek.

> I can understand that Pete might not be able
> to deal with the fact that his life will end... not exactly my favorite
> thought.

Right, but one every adult must face. At some point.

> True! Life is not fair! What blows me away is that after all these years The
> same old song will mean something different to me *because* of the imbalance
> and contradictions that exisit.

It's a good thing; otherwise we'd tire of the songs!

> In thinking about the fact that his main
> characters are not easy to identify with I'd have to say...I never thought
> about that, but you are absolutely correct.  Deaf, Dumb and Blind is a
> stretch.

However, it is symbolic enough...especially in regard to `60's
attitudes. You have Tommy, the "hippie" (eternal optimist who can show
the world the greatness he's discovered) and the rest of the characters
real life beating him to the ground.

>..and The Mod scene, being American,  has only become clear to me
> now...after 17 years!

Now it may be odd, but for me...hearing the album in 1973...I knew
nothing of Mod, other than the incorrect definition of a fashion...but I
completely identified with the story, because the then-current youth
movement was similar enough.

> Though I do think we can all relate to the underlying
> emotions of both Tommy and Jimmy.

Sure...they are the emotions other songwriters weren't mentioning. Pete
never minded revealing the things not talked about, be it masturbation
or encroaching alcoholism. I mean...what other songwriter would have the
balls to write: "It's clear to all my friends that I'm truly a liar..."?

--

            Cheers                ML

   "All the nonconformists are doing it."
                                 Hari Sheldon