Re: Songs of Sexism?

ML:

>In that anyone who is upset with someone else is likely to react
with
>the difference between that person and themselves...whether the
person
>is a woman or you-name-it...doesn't this "sexist" lyric really come
down
>to Pete being an excellent writer? Real life! Maybe it was shocking
>some because it was in fact so realistic, and most songwriters
didn't
>dare.

While I would not normally be one to argue against Pete being an
excellent writer, I feel that the lyric "What is it, I'll take it/Who
is she, I'll rape it" is a far cry from his usual fine work.  Even if
one ignores the fact that many people find this lyric offensive, and
worse still, that others take it literally but do NOT find it
offensive (the man sitting behind me at the 11/1/96 Quad show was
gleefully shouting "Rape!  Rape!" throughout "Dr. Jimmy"), it is just
a clumsy line.  The grammatical error may be due to poetic license
(Jimmy thinking of the woman in question as nothing more than an
object, an "it" rather than a "her"), but it is hard for me to
overlook the deviation from the song's rhyme scheme.  Since there are
any number of words that rhyme with "take", and several that rhyme
with "rape", I can only assume that Pete was being lazy when he wrote
this line.  It is certainly not his best work.

>Perhaps said in jest, but never seriously. It's sad that such a jest
in
>today's political climate is considered offensive. Keith would have
had
>a hard time with it, I'm sure. Would Moon be a considered a lovable
>scamp in the `90's, or instead a reactionary?

An interesting question, but I don't think Keith Moon in the 1990's
would be the same Keith Moon we are familiar with.  If Moonie were
alive today, it would only be because he had made dramatic changes in
his lifestyle.  I don't think anyone could lead the kind of life he
led and still survive into their 50's.  And since we are all affected
by our environment (and by extension the times we live in), a Keith
Moon born at some later date would not be the same person as the
Keith Moon born in 1947.

-Yellow "Speakin' as a child of the 90's" Ledbetter